Sunday, May 13, 2012

As It Turns Out…

…I am really turning into Ms. Betty Crocker. Not only have I utterly and truly discovered my love for cooking- but I am actually good at it. Like not only do I follow recipes and make them great- but I can also look at ingredients and spices and make up dishes that are really good. It is like something clicked in my head and I decided to trust that part of my head that assigns tastes to colors and foods and intrinsically knows what will taste good together and how to make that happen. I can even make cream sauces from scratch, people. And I’ve started baking my own bread. We have gotten so used to  baking our own bread that Broom does it too (although I am admittedly partial to the recipe that I use, that I found using the interwebz- so don’t be afraid, I haven’t gotten so good to the point that I am making up my own bread recipes.
Being able to cook makes me feel great- especially since I haven’t always trusted myself in the kitchen like I do now. This is something that I have learned since my relationship with food has gotten better, something that has been developing since I met Broom, and it is wonderful to come home after a really long day and make something delicious and know it was ME. I had the idea, I threw it together. It was all under my control and there are even leftovers for lunch. Does it get any better?
It makes me feel extremely confident and capable and special to be able to make something that tastes good to Broom and I and I can’t tell you how much I am looking forward to finding out what our future children will like the most out of everything that we cook.
To add fire to the flames of the Crockeryness (not a word, but let’s just pretend), I got a quite early birthday present of a sewing machine. It has been years since I used one with the Girl Scouts to make a duffel bag, but after the Mother in Law  showed me how it worked, I went straight to work and made a pillowcase to match our curtains (I know- our place just keeps getting more and more grown up- which feels odd sometimes). The pillowcase worked people! (I know, all it has to do is hold a pillow, but it does this marvelously, trust me.) First try and I didn’t even ruin anything.
I know I am still a sewing rookie, but I really like the idea of crafting something with my own hands and holding it up to myself with a “yesss!” Eventually I want to sew shirts, dresses, and co., especially since I have problems finding things where my chest fits in, but like so many other things in my life right now, it is really all about the baby steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment