Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Biodanza

I have recently taken up Biodanza.

At first, I knew absolutely nothing about it, although its description from the invitation from an international group I am in sounded pretty "hippie".
But for some reason, it sounded like something I had to do.

Completely unlike me, I didn't even Google it first, I just showed up! (I googled only later :) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biodanza)
Automatically I was greeted with hugs from most, more relaxed handshakes from others.
It felt like they wanted to really get to know me from the first moment onwards- something that isn't common in German culture.
It usually takes awhile to get people to warm up to you- and it certainly isn't a given.

The introduction our teacher gave (in English too, as one of our group can't speak German) had me a little worried, even more so than when I realized that we were going to be dancing barefoot!
But the dances- however unexpected and "unusual" seemed to release all of my work stress and let me concentrate on me and letting the movements be me and bond with other people in the group.

In short, I am now a Biodanza junkie!
I haven't had such a cozy group feeling- like people really take me as I am- since my years in the youth group back in the US.
Only after attending did I realize how I truly missed this closeness that comes so quickly in American friendships- but this is something that doesn't feel like it will fade overnight as those quick "BFF" American moment sometimes do.

I think next time I will tell the group again how much their openness and true care has helped me feel even more at home here, even after so many years and adaptations to the culture.
In the past few weeks, I really feel like it is this and Broom that has kept me from giving in to the Burnout symptoms I've been having and put everything in perspective.

Thank goodness for whims!

No comments:

Post a Comment