Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Sounds Simple Lesson Number 2: Applying for Jobs

Now that I am in HR, it seems the unprepared question has made quite a surge in popularity.

You know the one. It makes all conversation participants painfully aware you didn't do your homework.

It's like walking up to Barack Obama and asking him what he does for a living.

Um, awkward!




Specifically- people keep asking me for jobs.

Like, completely unprepared phone conversations that go:

"Um, Yes, Hi, I would like to be employed by your company. Do you have any positions?

No, I haven't been on your website and I have no clue what you actually produce but I would love a job.

(Wouldn't it be great if that how this worked?!?)

BUT- nothing technical, I don't have a technical background. I am looking for something simple.

So how about it?"

How convincing!



Who needs an application when you can just "nail it" in one call?

If I had only known that this was the way to convince HR departments to even read my application (none of which were ever sent during work time when I found out how much I like blogs).

It is as good as:

"I am working for another company but want to switch and I would like to do X.

Oh, no, I haven't been to your website. So you don't have any positions open?

But I would like to work as X at your company.

So how often should I look at your website to check?"

Nothing says "hire me" like cold calls like these!

No comments:

Post a Comment